Tennessee Domestic Assault and Aggravated Domestic Assault Legal Representation
Domestic Assault Lawyer – Knoxville, TN
Facing charges of Domestic Assault or Aggravated Domestic Assault in Tennessee is an extremely serious matter, with potential far-reaching implications for your personal and professional life. What you require is a skilled attorney specializing in Domestic Assault cases, one who comprehends the intricacies of the law. The legal experts at Hindman Law Office possess a profound understanding of domestic assault laws, ensuring you receive the utmost quality representation.
CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE RELATIONSHIP
For an assault to be categorized as domestic assault or aggravated domestic assault, the connection between the accused perpetrator and the alleged victim must fulfill at least one of the following criteria:
- Adults or minors who are current or former spouses.
- Adults or minors who currently reside together or have cohabited.
- Adults or minors who are or were engaged in a dating relationship, or who have had a previous dating or sexual involvement. This excludes interactions between individuals within a business or social context.
- Adults or minors related by blood or through adoption.
- Adults or minors who are related, or were formerly related, through marriage.
- Adult or minor children of an individual in a relationship as described above.
As evident, the legal interpretation of relationship is extensive. If the stipulated relationship status isn’t met, our legal team will strive to have the charges dismissed or altered to simple assault, which carries a significantly lighter penalty compared to domestic assault or aggravated domestic assault.
DEFINING AN ASSAULT
According to the statute, assaults can be categorized as either Simple Assault (a misdemeanor) or Aggravated Assault (a felony).
Simple Assault, under Tennessee Code, encompasses:
- Deliberately, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily harm to another person.
- Deliberately or knowingly inducing a reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm in another.
- Deliberately or knowingly engaging in physical contact with another person, with the contact being deemed highly offensive or provocative by a reasonable individual.
Domestic assault can lead to a sentence of up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.
For charges to elevate to aggravated domestic assault, the bodily harm must entail significant injury, such as wounds requiring substantial medical treatment, knife or gunshot wounds, loss of limb, disfigurement, broken bones, or attempted strangulation.
Aggravated domestic assault carries a prison term ranging from a minimum of 3 years to a maximum of 15 years.
A conviction for domestic assault or aggravated domestic assault can be permanently recorded and might result in the loss of certain rights upon an aggravated domestic assault conviction, including the right to vote, possess firearms, and, in certain cases, professional licenses.
If you’re confronting charges of Tennessee domestic assault or aggravated domestic assault, we urge you to contact the proficient and knowledgeable attorneys at Hindman Law Office for help. We are dedicated to providing you with the best possible representation in Knoxville, TN.
Contact A Knoxville Domestic Assault Lawyer
Have you been arrested or charged with domestic assault? Contact Hindman Law Office today for a FREE case evaluation and consultation – we serve clients across East and Middle Tennessee. Our Knoxville domestic assault defense lawyer works for YOU and YOUR RIGHTS!