Knoxville Criminal Defense Lawyer
Criminal Defense Attorney Knox County, TN
Know Your Rights – We Fight for YOU and YOUR RIGHTS!
Attorney Tommy K. Hindman has over 45 years of experience – call NOW for help!
If you find yourself facing criminal charges, it’s crucial to understand your rights and options. A strong defense strategy can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Understanding Criminal Charges
Before building your defense, it’s essential to understand the nature of the criminal charges against you. Crimes are generally categorized as:
- Felonies: Serious crimes with severe penalties, often involving violence or significant financial loss.
- Misdemeanors: Lesser offenses with lighter penalties than felonies, such as petty theft or disorderly conduct.
- Infractions: Minor offenses usually punishable by fines rather than jail time, like traffic violations.
The Role of Evidence
Evidence plays a crucial role in criminal cases. Types of evidence include:
- Direct Evidence: Eyewitness accounts, surveillance footage, and physical evidence.
- Circumstantial Evidence: Indirect proof that requires interpretation, like motive or opportunity.
- Exculpatory Evidence: Evidence that favors the defendant, potentially leading to acquittal or reduced charges.
Building Your Defense
Your defense strategy will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. Some common defense strategies include:
- Alibi: Proving that you were elsewhere during the time the crime was committed.
- Self-Defense: Arguing that you acted to protect yourself or others from imminent harm.
- Insanity: Demonstrating that you were not mentally capable of understanding the consequences of your actions.
Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney is crucial to navigating the legal system effectively. An attorney can:
- Review Evidence: Your attorney will assess the prosecution’s case and identify weaknesses.
- Protect Your Rights: They will ensure that your rights are not violated during the legal process.
- Negotiate: If appropriate, they can negotiate with the prosecution for reduced charges or a plea deal.
The Legal Process
Understanding the legal process can help alleviate some of the stress associated with criminal charges:
- Arrest: The initial apprehension by law enforcement based on probable cause.
- Arraignment: Your first court appearance, where charges are formally presented, and you enter a plea.
- Trial: If your case goes to trial, the prosecution and defense present their arguments, and a verdict is reached.
Plea bargains can be an alternative to trial. This involves negotiating with the prosecution to plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a reduced sentence.
Know Your Rights
Regardless of the charges, you have certain rights, including:
- Miranda Rights: The right to remain silent and have an attorney present during questioning.
- Presumption of Innocence: You are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH THESE CASES:
- State & Federal Criminal Defense
- All Felony & Misdemeanor Charges
- Aggravated Discharge of a Firearm
- Aggravated Robbery
- Armed Robbery
- Assault / Aggravated Assault
- Attempted Murder
- Battery / Aggravated Battery
- Civil Rights
- Check Fraud
- Child Pornography
- Credit Card Fraud / Theft
- Disorderly Conduct
- Domestic Battery
- Domestic Violence
- DUI / Drunk Driving
- Drug Crimes
- Drug Cultivation
- Drug Distribution
- Drug Manufacturing
- Drug Possession
- Drug Sales
- Drug Trafficking
- Expungements / Record Sealing
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Federal Drug Charges
- Federal Sex Crimes
- Financial Crimes
- Firearm Possession
- Fraud Defense
- Gun Charges & Offenses
- Identity Theft
- Juvenile Crimes
- Prescription Drug Charges
- Property & Financial Crimes
- Retail Theft
- Sex Crimes
- Solicitation of A Minor
- Statutory Rape
- Violent Crimes
- Weapon Offenses
- White Collar Crimes
- Wire Fraud
Remember, each case is unique. Consult with a criminal defense attorney to develop the best strategy for your situation.
Contact A Knoxville Criminal Defense Lawyer
Have you been arrested, charged or accused of crime? Contact Hindman Law Office today for a FREE case evaluation and consultation – we serve clients across East and Middle Tennessee. Our Knoxville criminal defense lawyer works for YOU and YOUR RIGHTS!