How Can We Help You?
Tennessee Domestic Assault and Aggravated Domestic Assault Lawyer
Being charged with Domestic Assault or Aggravated Domestic Assault in Tennessee is a very serious issue-one that can have far-reaching effects on your life and livelihood. You need a competent Domestic Assault attorney that is well versed in the complexities of the law. The attorneys at Hindman and Lanzon understand the Domestic Assault laws thoroughly and can give you the best representation possible.
In order for an assault to be considered domestic assault or aggravated domestic assault, the relationship between the accused abuser and alleged victim must meet at least one on the below criteria:
(1) Adults or minors who are current or former spouses;
(2) Adults or minors who live together or who have lived together;
(3) Adults or minors who are dating or who have dated or who have or had a sexual relationship, but does not include fraternization between two (2) individuals in a business or social context;
(4) Adults or minors related by blood or adoption;
(5) Adults or minors who are related or were formerly related by marriage; or
(6) Adult or minor children of a person in a relationship that is described above
As you can see, the law’s definition of relationship is very broad. If the relationship status is not met, the attorneys at Hindman and Lanzon will seek to have the charge dismissed or changed to simple assault which carries a much lighter penalty than Domestic Assault or Aggravated Domestic Assault.
WHAT IS AN ASSAULT?
According to the statute, assaults may be classified as Simple Assault (a misdemeanor) or Aggravated Assault (a felony), a Simple Assault is defined by the Tennessee Code as the following:
· Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another
· Intentionally or knowingly causing another to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury
· Intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact with another and a reasonable person would regard the contact as extremely offensive or provocative.
Domestic assault carries up to 11 months 29 days in jail
In order for the charge to become an Aggravated Domestic Assault, the bodily injury would need to involve significant harm such as an injury that needs significant medical treatment, knife wound, gunshot, loss of limb, disfigurement, or a broken bone, or attempted strangulation.
Aggravated domestic assault carries minimum 3 years maximum 15 years in the penitentiary
A conviction for Domestic Assault or Aggravated Domestic Assault can become part of your permanent record and could result, in the event of an Aggravated Domestic Assault conviction, the loss of your right to vote, right to posses a firearm, and sometimes the loss of professional licenses.
If you are facing a Tennessee Domestic Assault or Aggravated Domestic Assault charge, please call the experienced and knowledgeable attorneys at Hindman and Lanzon to get the best possible representation in Knoxville, TN.